Friday, January 13, 2012

Birthday Cake Confessions.

This is going to be an embarrassing post for me.  I have a much greater appreciation for the mom's who pull off amazing cakes for their children's birthdays now!

My girls have had a total of 4 birthdays combined. 

Here's the progression...

Naomi's 1st:
A Schwans ice cream sandwich.  Totally spaced out on this one and didn't even think about making a cake or cupcakes or anything until it was too late.  She ate every bit of it.

Her second:
 I tried a lot harder since I was sad I dropped the ball on her first birthday!
 She was sad since daddy blew out the candle the first time and we re-lit it but she wasn't getting over the heartbreak of what had happened! 
 So this was a rainbow cake and it looked fun... but tasted HORRIBLE.  The jello they said to use to color the layers made it really really bad. 

Phoebe's 1st
A friend of mine made her a personal flower cake, and a butterfly one for everyone else.  SO CUTE!  She was also fascinated by the candle, but didn't cry when she had help blowing it out.
 Super impressive especially considering Naomi's 3rd just a month later...

Naomi #3
She wanted a butterfly cake like Phoebe.  So I decided to try again and see if I could make one.  I found this one online:

Looked easy enough.  I knew it wouldn't look just like that when finished, and I was okay knowing that.

Chocolate cake was requested by daddy. 

So chocolate frosting was used.

I will never again underestimate the necessity of actual decorating equipment. 

A spatula just doesn't cut it.

I scraped off the whole top once, then decided it was just going to be what it was. 

Luckily I bought some marshmallows, not a huge part of the actual cake but a huge hit with the birthday girl!

Side note: I knew we had candles from Phoebe's birthday, so I didn't buy any the night before when I ran to the store for the other stuff.  Couldn't find them anywhere, the only one I had was the "2" one from the previous year. 

So we lit it three different times for her to blow out. 
My sweet three year old loved it and never once asked why it didn't look like her sister's did!!!

Live and learn.

Thankfully I have another year before I have to figure out a better way to do it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment